Close

    • Velocity AP dyno tests their Aston Martin DB11 V12 ecu tune and downpipes - +127WHP

      Aston Martin created waves when they announced the DB11 would have a 600 horsepower twin turbo 5.2 liter V12. The twin turbo V12 is not exactly a common motor you see. Aston Martin also stated this motor would be built in-house.


      So what kind of power is the DB11 which is rated at 600 horsepower and 516 lb-ft putting down at the wheels?

      554:


      That is solid power based on the rating.

      Now, you'll notice tune only Velocity AP (Automotive Performance) is able to get another 50 rwhp tune only but they pick up 110 lb-ft of torque with just the software:


      The 200-cell catted downpipes provide a benefit of roughly 22 lb-ft of torque at the wheels.

      Your basic bolt ons get you over 600 wheel horsepower and 600 lb-ft of torque, not bad. Does that mean the V12 is a better performance choice than the AMG sourced V8? Absolutely not. The lighter V8 with its bevvy of turbo upgrade options is the choice.

      It won't replicate the V12 feel or sound though.

      This article was originally published in forum thread: Velocity AP dyno tests their Aston Martin DB11 V12 ecu tune and downpipes - +127WHP started by Sticky View original post
      Comments 7 Comments
      1. leveraged sellout's Avatar
        leveraged sellout -
        No reason this engine can't get turbo upgrades too...more displacement, more cylinders, would be an excellent fit.

        I had a feeling they left a ton on the table with this car...I'll take the 12 any day over the V8...anything else isn't proper in the big Aston.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by leveraged sellout Click here to enlarge
        No reason this engine can't get turbo upgrades too...more displacement, more cylinders, would be an excellent fit.
        Smaller market, harder turbos to reach, less efficient manifold, less turbo options, etc.

        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by leveraged sellout Click here to enlarge
        anything else isn't proper in the big Aston.
        Agreed there.
      1. Stevenh's Avatar
        Stevenh -
        Big twin turbo V12 making 600+whp @ 7,000 RPM? Sign me up.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        It does have a pretty nice curve.
      1. 93siro's Avatar
        93siro -
        Iíll take the V12 over the V8 as well. Its V12, port injection and has big bore/short stroke architecture; it only has 69mm stroke verus 90 for the V8. At higher power levels its gonna keep making more power with its big valves compared to the V8. Plus, if this thing gets caught moding, 7.0L is just a stroker kit away (the block has room for 7.0)

        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        Smaller market, harder turbos to reach, less efficient manifold, less turbo options, etc.



        Agreed there.
        Hot vee turbo placement solely does not mean a better manfiold design. 180 degree manifold like the S63, yes but a regular one does not necessarily better flowing piece. In a conventional sedan a hot vee helps with packaging and shortening the runners, but in a mid-front-engine setup such as Aston packaging is already sorted with placing the engine behind the axle and sll the suspension bits.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 93siro Click here to enlarge
        I’ll take the V12 over the V8 as well. Its V12, port injection and has big bore/short stroke architecture; it only has 69mm stroke verus 90 for the V8. At higher power levels its gonna keep making more power with its big valves compared to the V8. Plus, if this thing gets caught moding, 7.0L is just a stroker kit away (the block has room for 7.0)
        I agree with you on the displacement and I agree with you on the port injection but it's never going to top the AMG V8.

        The M275 from Mercedes never topped the M157 and it has been around forever although this Aston design is more advanced.

        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 93siro Click here to enlarge
        Hot vee turbo placement solely does not mean a better manfiold design. 180 degree manifold like the S63, yes but a regular one does not necessarily better flowing piece. In a conventional sedan a hot vee helps with packaging and shortening the runners, but in a mid-front-engine setup such as Aston packaging is already sorted with placing the engine behind the axle and sll the suspension bits.
        I'd have to see the V12 manifold design but it's not going to be able to run a cross bank twin scroll setup no matter what. The M177/M178 is all modular. No reason the E63's superior manifold and twin scrolls can't work.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        This is probably the best shots I can get of the manifold:

        Click here to enlarge

        Click here to enlarge

        Click here to enlarge

        Click here to enlarge


        Looks like pretty short runners and a good design but still harder to reach and you still will have packaging constraints. The M177/M178 already has more turbo options with big twins coming.

        I don't see the V12 competing with it.