Close

    • F1 2018 - Mercedes-AMG picks up first win of the season in Azerbaijan, Hamilton moves into 1st place in driver standings

      For Americans watching on ESPN the Azerbaijan Grand Prix may have been exciting enough to garner some new fans. The race was a bit messy to say the least but the finish was one of the most exciting if not unfortunate of the season.


      Why? Because Valtteri Bottas should have won. What cost him the race was hitting debris which punctured his tire in the final few laps.

      The amount of debris on the track not being surprising as from the very first lap cars were colliding and bringing out the yellow flag.

      Some of the collisions were due to locking up the brakes and hitting the wall in the tight sections and others were from aggressive wheel to wheel racing. The best of which Red Bull provided.

      Not against others teams mind you but Red Bull drivers Verstappen and Ricciardo going at it with each other. It seemed inevitable their wheel to wheel racing would end in a wreck and surely enough, it did.

      Why there were not team orders for Verstappen to let Ricciardo by is anyone's guess but Red Bull said their policy is to let their drivers race. As a fan, that is appreciated as Red Bull provided for the best racing moments of the Grand Prix. That feeling would likely be different if one were involved with the team rather than being a spectator.

      The wreck between the Red Bull teammates worked to the benefit of Mercedes with a yellow coming out allowing Hamilton to get close to Bottas with Sebastian Vettel (who led the majority of the race) in between them.

      Vettel went big and for the win once racing resumed by aggressively charging into a corner passing Bottas. He overshot his mark though, locked up his tires, and ended up losing out on a podium finish. If the move worked he would be hailed as a genius today.

      Overall, a fun Grand Prix but with the opening few laps spent under yellow and so many wrecks it felt like there was not as much racing as there was time behind the safety car.




      This article was originally published in forum thread: F1 2018 - Mercedes-AMG picks up first win of the season in Azerbaijan, Hamilton moves into 1st place in driver standings started by Sticky View original post
      Comments 14 Comments
      1. Bowser330's Avatar
        Bowser330 -
        So far I am actually enjoying F1 again. Particularly because it seems as if the big three have comparable engines now and its truly competitive, anyone can win given the right strategy.
      1. BlackJetE90OC's Avatar
        BlackJetE90OC -
        Safety cars are the story of 2018 season so far. Changing the outcome of races.

        From the eye test, Ferrari clearly seems like the car to beat right now. If they can get clean races, they should start racking points up.

        But it is a long season, reliability hasn't really been tested yet. Also the race to bring updates begins now.
      1. Sticky2's Avatar
        Sticky2 -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Bowser330 Click here to enlarge
        So far I am actually enjoying F1 again. Particularly because it seems as if the big three have comparable engines now and its truly competitive, anyone can win given the right strategy.
        It is always the same three teams though. Why does anyone else even bother?
      1. DavidV's Avatar
        DavidV -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        Why there were not team orders for Verstappen to let Ricciardo by is anyone's guess but Red Bull said their policy is to let their drivers race.
        And where would Riciardo have gone?
        He overtook Max once, took him 31 laps, and that was not enough to drive away from him.
        When the 2 Red Bulls are that close together on track, they were always going to be in each others hair.
        And RB never gives team orders to their drivers. They only demand to keep the racing clean.
        That didn't work out very well this time.
        Made for an interresting race, though Click here to enlarge

        And it was really unfortunate for Bottas. Hammilton had a bad race, and was gifted the victory.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DavidV Click here to enlarge
        And where would Riciardo have gone?
        He overtook Max once, took him 31 laps, and that was not enough to drive away from him.
        When the 2 Red Bulls are that close together on track, they were always going to be in each others hair.
        And RB never gives team orders to their drivers. They only demand to keep the racing clean.
        That didn't work out very well this time.
        Made for an interresting race, though Click here to enlarge

        And it was really unfortunate for Bottas. Hammilton had a bad race, and was gifted the victory.
        Isn't the goal to pick up points?

        I loved the racing but everyone could feel a wreck was coming. They should have backed off each other.

        Ricciardo was quicker but then Max hung with him. Regardless, Verstappen seems to wreck every race or at least it feels that way. He's too young and impulsive. I wouldn't want him as a teammate.
      1. Bowser330's Avatar
        Bowser330 -
        article 20.3 of the F1 sporting regulations. It says: "More than one change of direction to defend a position is not permitted

        Pretty clear verstappen moved twice to block which is an automatic rule violation..you do that knowing you could cause contact or an incident with another driver. Because the other driver is assuming at 200mph that verstappen won't come back over.

        Sure Riccardo made his move back to the inside late but that's not against the rules, that's just poor racing skill.

        Like was said, look at recent history, verstappen is the common denominator in numerous incidents with other drivers and now his own teammate.

        I am a fan of redull racing because of how they are able to be a top three team without being a manufacturer backed team. I think that's pretty cool and impressive.
        They will not be successful with this out of control youngster.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Bowser330 Click here to enlarge
        Pretty clear verstappen moved twice to block which is an automatic rule violation.
        He did and I had no idea you can't do that. Lame.
      1. BlackJetE90OC's Avatar
        BlackJetE90OC -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        Verstappen seems to wreck every race or at least it feels that way. He's too young and impulsive. I wouldn't want him as a teammate.
        If I was a team manager, Max would be one of first drivers I would sign to a long term contract.

        My guess is Ricciardo will not be at Red Bull next year. Red Bull is long on Max.

        I would really like to see Ricciardo in a Ferrari next to Vettel.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by BlackJetE90OC Click here to enlarge
        If I was a team manager, Max would be one of first drivers I would sign to a long term contract.
        I would sign max once he grows up. He's more of a liability right now.

        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by BlackJetE90OC Click here to enlarge
        My guess is Ricciardo will not be at Red Bull next year. Red Bull is long on Max.
        You're no doubt correct here.
      1. DavidV's Avatar
        DavidV -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by BlackJetE90OC Click here to enlarge
        I would really like to see Ricciardo in a Ferrari next to Vettel.
        I don't think Vettel would like that at all.
        He likes his team mates compliant and assisting him.
        Riciardo already beat him the one year they were team mates in the RB.
        And since the whole Ferrari team revolves around Vettel it probably won't happen.
        Just look at what Arrivabene put Raikkonen through in China.
        That was almost insulting.
        Daniel already stated he wants to be a team mate on equal terms.
        So that means Mercedes or Red Bull.
        And Hamilton stated last Sunday he'd like Bottas as a team mate next year.
      1. BlackJetE90OC's Avatar
        BlackJetE90OC -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DavidV Click here to enlarge
        I don't think Vettel would like that at all.
        He likes his team mates compliant and assisting him.
        Riciardo already beat him the one year they were team mates in the RB.
        And since the whole Ferrari team revolves around Vettel it probably won't happen.
        Just look at what Arrivabene put Raikkonen through in China.
        That was almost insulting.
        Daniel already stated he wants to be a team mate on equal terms.
        So that means Mercedes or Red Bull.
        And Hamilton stated last Sunday he'd like Bottas as a team mate next year.
        I don't think it would happen either, but I would like to see Vettel have a competitive teammate.

        Although Kimi as been right on Vettel's ass this season.
      1. DavidV's Avatar
        DavidV -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by BlackJetE90OC Click here to enlarge
        I don't think it would happen either, but I would like to see Vettel have a competitive teammate.

        Although Kimi as been right on Vettel's ass this season.
        The driving characteristics of the SF71H suit Kimi's driving style a lot better than Seb's.
        Kimi was pretty gutted after the last quali where he made an error in Q3-turn 16. He was all purple up to that point.
        It really showed. He is really trying to beat Vettel this year. Maybe he thinks he has more of a chance in this car.
      1. Bowser330's Avatar
        Bowser330 -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DavidV Click here to enlarge
        The driving characteristics of the SF71H suit Kimi's driving style a lot better than Seb's.
        Kimi was pretty gutted after the last quali where he made an error in Q3-turn 16. He was all purple up to that point.
        It really showed. He is really trying to beat Vettel this year. Maybe he thinks he has more of a chance in this car.
        I like Kimi I hope he succeeds
      1. Abacus38's Avatar
        Abacus38 -
        Baku is nothing more then the cage fight of F1 lol. There's always carnage